April 25th, 2016 | Food Security, Our Food, Raw Milk, Canada, Dairy, enzymes, health, microbiome, milk, petition, probiotics, raw milk, right to choose, rights
Currently, raw milk is completely illegal in Canada even if obtained through cowshares or herdshares. If this petition reaches 500 valid signatures of Canadians by its deadline on August 11, 2016, the petition will be presented in the House of Commons. Once presented, the government is required to respond within 45 days. Of course, we want to far exceed the minimum requirement.
Petition to the Minister of Health
- Humans have been consuming locally produced raw milk for thousands of years and have enjoyed the health benefits included therein, and raw milk contains enzymes and beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that are destroyed during the pasteurization process;
- Large scale industrially-produced dairy products present greater health risks which must be managed through pasteurization; milk produced on a small scale through local farms is subject to significantly lower risk levels;
- Health Canada’s existing policy and regulatory framework fails to differentiate between these risk levels and prohibiting the sale and distribution of raw milk is not a reasonable approach and the risk profile for raw milk is lower than other foods available to consumers; and
- Canada is the only G8 country that prohibits the sale of raw milk to consumers, any health risks associated with locally produced milk are being managed effectively in other jurisdictions through the use of appropriate evidence based standards and certification programs.The Government of Canada can learn from these successes, and Canadians should have the freedom to choose to purchase pasteurized or raw milk.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Minister of Health to Modernize and amend the Food and Drugs Act and the corresponding Food and Drug Regulations, to permit the legal sale of, and/or access to, raw (i.e. unpasteurized) milk and milk products through small scale certified herd share programs, or other such suitable arrangements, capable of managing any associated health risks in a responsible and reasonable manner.
- Sign the petition petitions.parl.gc.ca
- Using email or social media, spread the word and ask others to sign it. Sample wording below.
Canadian citizens are petitioning their government to create meaningful dialogue about raw milk availability. Please sign this petition and ask others to do the same. You do not need to be a raw milk drinker or even a supporter to sign this petition. You don’t even need to be a citizen or resident of Canada. This is about our rights as citizens to choose the foods of our choice from the producer of our choice.
Supported by the Weston A Price Foundation
February 8th, 2016
Mark Mattson is the current Chief of the Laboratory of Neurosciences at the National Institute on Aging. He is also a professor of Neuroscience at The Johns Hopkins University. Mattson is one of the foremost researchers in the area of cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying neurodegenerativ ...
November 1st, 2013
Buy Premium Dried Kefir Grains Kefir makes a great easy breakfast when on a camping trip. Simply strain and add milk! This summer we took our kefir with us to Chaco Canyon and we were glad we did. As it turns out the beneficial yeasts and bacteria in kefir help to protect us from radiation a ...
September 10th, 2013
I recently had the opportunity to attend a conference entitled Brain Solutions. I was excited to see that Natasha Trenev was one of the speakers and would be filling us in on recent advances in the understanding of the gut-brain-microbe axis. But as the conference went on I felt increasingly annoy ...
March 18th, 2013
Daytime Ottawa hosts ask why we can't purchase raw milk and is it safe to consume. More info at rawmilkconsumer.ca ...
March 13th, 2013
NDP pledges to seek alternatives for people who don't want smart meter by Rob Shaw B.C.’s Opposition New Democrats accepted an anti-smart-meter petition with almost 30,000 signatures Monday and promised to seek hard-wired meters for people concerned about the health effects of wireles ...
March 8th, 2013
I stumbled across these amazing and addictive pickles while passing through Pikes Place Market in Seattle. It was perfect timing as I had just eated a rather cheap steak and egg breakfast and was needing some help digesting it. The Britt's Pickles stand offers free samples of all of their pickles as ...
March 8th, 2013
Fermentation of the Future Dairy products are often fermented to improve their taste or preservation.
Fermentation of dairy products has been associated with beneficial health effects.
Can dairy fermentation be further optimized for superior consumer health? Using populations of ba ...
March 7th, 2013
With The Little Chilliwack Dairy back in the courts again it seems appropriate to revive this article about Alice Jongerden, written in 2010 by Chad Hershler. Hershler does a very good job of presenting the history of the Home on the Range cowshare and when the harassment by Fraser Health began. ...
March 4th, 2013
Please join us for Phase II of American Gut. During Phase I we raised $339,213, making it the largest crowd funded & open source SCIENCE project in history. World's LARGEST open-source, community driven effort to characterize the microbial diversity of the Global Gut. All US and International partic ...