April 25th, 2016 | Food Security, Our Food, Raw Milk, Canada, Dairy, enzymes, health, microbiome, milk, petition, probiotics, raw milk, right to choose, rights
Currently, raw milk is completely illegal in Canada even if obtained through cowshares or herdshares. If this petition reaches 500 valid signatures of Canadians by its deadline on August 11, 2016, the petition will be presented in the House of Commons. Once presented, the government is required to respond within 45 days. Of course, we want to far exceed the minimum requirement.
Petition to the Minister of Health
- Humans have been consuming locally produced raw milk for thousands of years and have enjoyed the health benefits included therein, and raw milk contains enzymes and beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that are destroyed during the pasteurization process;
- Large scale industrially-produced dairy products present greater health risks which must be managed through pasteurization; milk produced on a small scale through local farms is subject to significantly lower risk levels;
- Health Canada’s existing policy and regulatory framework fails to differentiate between these risk levels and prohibiting the sale and distribution of raw milk is not a reasonable approach and the risk profile for raw milk is lower than other foods available to consumers; and
- Canada is the only G8 country that prohibits the sale of raw milk to consumers, any health risks associated with locally produced milk are being managed effectively in other jurisdictions through the use of appropriate evidence based standards and certification programs.The Government of Canada can learn from these successes, and Canadians should have the freedom to choose to purchase pasteurized or raw milk.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Minister of Health to Modernize and amend the Food and Drugs Act and the corresponding Food and Drug Regulations, to permit the legal sale of, and/or access to, raw (i.e. unpasteurized) milk and milk products through small scale certified herd share programs, or other such suitable arrangements, capable of managing any associated health risks in a responsible and reasonable manner.
- Sign the petition petitions.parl.gc.ca
- Using email or social media, spread the word and ask others to sign it. Sample wording below.
Canadian citizens are petitioning their government to create meaningful dialogue about raw milk availability. Please sign this petition and ask others to do the same. You do not need to be a raw milk drinker or even a supporter to sign this petition. You don’t even need to be a citizen or resident of Canada. This is about our rights as citizens to choose the foods of our choice from the producer of our choice.
Supported by the Weston A Price Foundation
August 21st, 2013
Source: Milk Genomics Consortium
From Mother's Gut to Milk In a world filled with harmful bacteria, viruses, and parasites, it seems quite paradoxical that a human infant would be born with an immature and inefficient immune system. That is, of course, until you realize the infant benefits ...
July 2nd, 2013
Mark McAfee visits the family cow. The following article is reposted with permission. It is Edwin Shank's personal exploration of what may be going on behind the scenes of North American government regulatory departments in regards to their accelerated paranoia around raw milk. The Family Cow pr ...
April 7th, 2013
Well it has been a long and talkative day for us raw milk lovers here in BC so I will try to just do a quick summary of the speakers and some of my favorite quotes from each of them for the folks who were unable to attend the Fresh Milk Food Politics conference today. I have uploaded a bunch of ...
March 26th, 2013
The Benefits Of Raw Milk Cosmetics by Marcela De Vivo Raw milk is natural and unmodified by any chemicals --unlike the milk you might buy at your local grocery market. Pasteurized (or “sterilized”) milk is altered with added protein, and lactose. This allows companies to cut a gallon of milk ...
March 18th, 2013
Daytime Ottawa hosts ask why we can't purchase raw milk and is it safe to consume. More info at rawmilkconsumer.ca ...
March 8th, 2013
Fermentation of the Future Dairy products are often fermented to improve their taste or preservation.
Fermentation of dairy products has been associated with beneficial health effects.
Can dairy fermentation be further optimized for superior consumer health? Using populations of ba ...
March 7th, 2013
With The Little Chilliwack Dairy back in the courts again it seems appropriate to revive this article about Alice Jongerden, written in 2010 by Chad Hershler. Hershler does a very good job of presenting the history of the Home on the Range cowshare and when the harassment by Fraser Health began. ...
February 20th, 2013
This morning I got to the courthouse late and missed what Gordon Watson had to say. Judge Wong wrapped it all up saying that it was a lot of information which he needed to spend some time looking over and that he had a fair amount of other work as well and that his judgement may not come for qui ...
February 19th, 2013
DONATE to the Raw Milk Legal Defense Fund, fighting for raw milk access for all families across British Columbia and Canada It was an interesting day at the courthouse today. Many of us got there late but it didn't matter as there was some kind of a security alert going on and no on ...