April 25th, 2016 | Food Security, Our Food, Raw Milk, Canada, Dairy, enzymes, health, microbiome, milk, petition, probiotics, raw milk, right to choose, rights
Currently, raw milk is completely illegal in Canada even if obtained through cowshares or herdshares. If this petition reaches 500 valid signatures of Canadians by its deadline on August 11, 2016, the petition will be presented in the House of Commons. Once presented, the government is required to respond within 45 days. Of course, we want to far exceed the minimum requirement.
Petition to the Minister of Health
- Humans have been consuming locally produced raw milk for thousands of years and have enjoyed the health benefits included therein, and raw milk contains enzymes and beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that are destroyed during the pasteurization process;
- Large scale industrially-produced dairy products present greater health risks which must be managed through pasteurization; milk produced on a small scale through local farms is subject to significantly lower risk levels;
- Health Canada’s existing policy and regulatory framework fails to differentiate between these risk levels and prohibiting the sale and distribution of raw milk is not a reasonable approach and the risk profile for raw milk is lower than other foods available to consumers; and
- Canada is the only G8 country that prohibits the sale of raw milk to consumers, any health risks associated with locally produced milk are being managed effectively in other jurisdictions through the use of appropriate evidence based standards and certification programs.The Government of Canada can learn from these successes, and Canadians should have the freedom to choose to purchase pasteurized or raw milk.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Minister of Health to Modernize and amend the Food and Drugs Act and the corresponding Food and Drug Regulations, to permit the legal sale of, and/or access to, raw (i.e. unpasteurized) milk and milk products through small scale certified herd share programs, or other such suitable arrangements, capable of managing any associated health risks in a responsible and reasonable manner.
- Sign the petition petitions.parl.gc.ca
- Using email or social media, spread the word and ask others to sign it. Sample wording below.
Canadian citizens are petitioning their government to create meaningful dialogue about raw milk availability. Please sign this petition and ask others to do the same. You do not need to be a raw milk drinker or even a supporter to sign this petition. You don’t even need to be a citizen or resident of Canada. This is about our rights as citizens to choose the foods of our choice from the producer of our choice.
Supported by the Weston A Price Foundation
March 31st, 2016
We consume a lot of dairy and since the Fukushima nuclear disaster 5 years ago we have had to find ways to make sure this radiation isn't concentrating in our bodies. The following article is very helpful. Certain small dairies even here in Canada are remineralizing their cows which as mentioned ...
March 24th, 2016
This recipe can be used if you are doing seed cycling to balance your hormones. Or just if you need more zinc and selenium! Sesame and sunflower are both very powerful little seeds. Be sure to get organically grown seeds. 2c (200g) grated Parmesan (or pecorino)
1c sunflower seed flour ...
November 1st, 2013
Buy Premium Dried Kefir Grains Kefir makes a great easy breakfast when on a camping trip. Simply strain and add milk! This summer we took our kefir with us to Chaco Canyon and we were glad we did. As it turns out the beneficial yeasts and bacteria in kefir help to protect us from radiation a ...
April 7th, 2013
Well it has been a long and talkative day for us raw milk lovers here in BC so I will try to just do a quick summary of the speakers and some of my favorite quotes from each of them for the folks who were unable to attend the Fresh Milk Food Politics conference today. I have uploaded a bunch of ...
March 18th, 2013
Daytime Ottawa hosts ask why we can't purchase raw milk and is it safe to consume. More info at rawmilkconsumer.ca ...
March 8th, 2013
Fermentation of the Future Dairy products are often fermented to improve their taste or preservation.
Fermentation of dairy products has been associated with beneficial health effects.
Can dairy fermentation be further optimized for superior consumer health? Using populations of ba ...
March 7th, 2013
With The Little Chilliwack Dairy back in the courts again it seems appropriate to revive this article about Alice Jongerden, written in 2010 by Chad Hershler. Hershler does a very good job of presenting the history of the Home on the Range cowshare and when the harassment by Fraser Health began. ...
December 6th, 2012
Photo: Geert Vanden Wijngaert / AP Source: The Salt: What's on Your Plate
by April Fulton Food fight! Earlier this week, European Union dairy farmers decided to protest milk price controls by spraying police with high-pressure hoses filled with milk. It certainly wasn't the first time tha ...
November 9th, 2012
Recipe for Wild 'n Raw Blackberry-Cardamom Ice Cream. Make this recipe with yogurt for a probiotic-rich delight! About four years ago we started a video project called Mouth of Babes. The show features Ruthie, a pregnant mama and her 2 year old son Mikko, cooking nutrient dense foods, followi ...