April 25th, 2016 | Food Security, Our Food, Raw Milk, Canada, Dairy, enzymes, health, microbiome, milk, petition, probiotics, raw milk, right to choose, rights
Currently, raw milk is completely illegal in Canada even if obtained through cowshares or herdshares. If this petition reaches 500 valid signatures of Canadians by its deadline on August 11, 2016, the petition will be presented in the House of Commons. Once presented, the government is required to respond within 45 days. Of course, we want to far exceed the minimum requirement.
Petition to the Minister of Health
- Humans have been consuming locally produced raw milk for thousands of years and have enjoyed the health benefits included therein, and raw milk contains enzymes and beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that are destroyed during the pasteurization process;
- Large scale industrially-produced dairy products present greater health risks which must be managed through pasteurization; milk produced on a small scale through local farms is subject to significantly lower risk levels;
- Health Canada’s existing policy and regulatory framework fails to differentiate between these risk levels and prohibiting the sale and distribution of raw milk is not a reasonable approach and the risk profile for raw milk is lower than other foods available to consumers; and
- Canada is the only G8 country that prohibits the sale of raw milk to consumers, any health risks associated with locally produced milk are being managed effectively in other jurisdictions through the use of appropriate evidence based standards and certification programs.The Government of Canada can learn from these successes, and Canadians should have the freedom to choose to purchase pasteurized or raw milk.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Minister of Health to Modernize and amend the Food and Drugs Act and the corresponding Food and Drug Regulations, to permit the legal sale of, and/or access to, raw (i.e. unpasteurized) milk and milk products through small scale certified herd share programs, or other such suitable arrangements, capable of managing any associated health risks in a responsible and reasonable manner.
- Sign the petition petitions.parl.gc.ca
- Using email or social media, spread the word and ask others to sign it. Sample wording below.
Canadian citizens are petitioning their government to create meaningful dialogue about raw milk availability. Please sign this petition and ask others to do the same. You do not need to be a raw milk drinker or even a supporter to sign this petition. You don’t even need to be a citizen or resident of Canada. This is about our rights as citizens to choose the foods of our choice from the producer of our choice.
Supported by the Weston A Price Foundation
August 21st, 2013
Source: Milk Genomics Consortium
From Mother's Gut to Milk In a world filled with harmful bacteria, viruses, and parasites, it seems quite paradoxical that a human infant would be born with an immature and inefficient immune system. That is, of course, until you realize the infant benefits ...
April 7th, 2013
Well it has been a long and talkative day for us raw milk lovers here in BC so I will try to just do a quick summary of the speakers and some of my favorite quotes from each of them for the folks who were unable to attend the Fresh Milk Food Politics conference today. I have uploaded a bunch of ...
January 6th, 2013
South Park does it again with a yarn about how they ran the milkman out of town when they realized he was dropping in on all of their wives, by laying a trap for him with a sexy blonde. This one just makes me chortle every time I hear it. ...
December 6th, 2012
Photo: Geert Vanden Wijngaert / AP Source: The Salt: What's on Your Plate
by April Fulton Food fight! Earlier this week, European Union dairy farmers decided to protest milk price controls by spraying police with high-pressure hoses filled with milk. It certainly wasn't the first time tha ...
August 4th, 2012
Killing Diversity -- the Homogenization and Pastuerization of Cultures Over the weekend we were invited to a lovely dinner party with an eclectic assortment of people. I immediately found myself deep in conversation with a lovely lady from Greece who told me of her favorite technique for maki ...
June 26th, 2012
Image: Rare mosaic etching by IREL Cleaopatra's Secret to Success: Fermented Milk Baths I was recently listening to an Ayurvedic practitioner speaking about how this ancient healing system understands skin as having two components. There is the interior skin, which consists of your gut tube ...
June 24th, 2012
Delicious probiotic rich pomegranate kombucha with raw lychee ice-cream makes a delicious and nutritious gut-pleasing, taste bud tantalizing treat. ...
May 20th, 2012
Mike Guebert, a local small scale integrated livestock farmer who sells raw milk from his farm direct to the public shares his perspective on the safety and benefits of raw unpasteurized milk. According to data from the Center For Disease Control, there are an estimated 9 million people in the U ...
May 19th, 2012
Source: Chris Kresser Raw Milk Reality: Is Raw Milk Dangerous? Back in February, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) published a study targeting raw milk as dangerous and unsafe for human consumption. The media jumped on it in typical fashion. You may have seen headlines like this: “ ...