Raw Milk Could be Legal in Canada with your Support
April 25th, 2016 | Food Security, Our Food, Raw Milk, Canada, Dairy, enzymes, health, microbiome, milk, petition, probiotics, raw milk, right to choose, rights
Currently, raw milk is completely illegal in Canada even if obtained through cowshares or herdshares. If this petition reaches 500 valid signatures of Canadians by its deadline on August 11, 2016, the petition will be presented in the House of Commons. Once presented, the government is required to respond within 45 days. Of course, we want to far exceed the minimum requirement.
Petition to the Minister of Health
- Humans have been consuming locally produced raw milk for thousands of years and have enjoyed the health benefits included therein, and raw milk contains enzymes and beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that are destroyed during the pasteurization process;
- Large scale industrially-produced dairy products present greater health risks which must be managed through pasteurization; milk produced on a small scale through local farms is subject to significantly lower risk levels;
- Health Canada’s existing policy and regulatory framework fails to differentiate between these risk levels and prohibiting the sale and distribution of raw milk is not a reasonable approach and the risk profile for raw milk is lower than other foods available to consumers; and
- Canada is the only G8 country that prohibits the sale of raw milk to consumers, any health risks associated with locally produced milk are being managed effectively in other jurisdictions through the use of appropriate evidence based standards and certification programs.The Government of Canada can learn from these successes, and Canadians should have the freedom to choose to purchase pasteurized or raw milk.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Minister of Health to Modernize and amend the Food and Drugs Act and the corresponding Food and Drug Regulations, to permit the legal sale of, and/or access to, raw (i.e. unpasteurized) milk and milk products through small scale certified herd share programs, or other such suitable arrangements, capable of managing any associated health risks in a responsible and reasonable manner.
- Sign the petition petitions.parl.gc.ca
- Using email or social media, spread the word and ask others to sign it. Sample wording below.
Canadian citizens are petitioning their government to create meaningful dialogue about raw milk availability. Please sign this petition and ask others to do the same. You do not need to be a raw milk drinker or even a supporter to sign this petition. You don’t even need to be a citizen or resident of Canada. This is about our rights as citizens to choose the foods of our choice from the producer of our choice.
Supported by the Weston A Price Foundation