April 25th, 2016 | Food Security, Our Food, Raw Milk, Canada, Dairy, enzymes, health, microbiome, milk, petition, probiotics, raw milk, right to choose, rights
Currently, raw milk is completely illegal in Canada even if obtained through cowshares or herdshares. If this petition reaches 500 valid signatures of Canadians by its deadline on August 11, 2016, the petition will be presented in the House of Commons. Once presented, the government is required to respond within 45 days. Of course, we want to far exceed the minimum requirement.
Petition to the Minister of Health
- Humans have been consuming locally produced raw milk for thousands of years and have enjoyed the health benefits included therein, and raw milk contains enzymes and beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that are destroyed during the pasteurization process;
- Large scale industrially-produced dairy products present greater health risks which must be managed through pasteurization; milk produced on a small scale through local farms is subject to significantly lower risk levels;
- Health Canada’s existing policy and regulatory framework fails to differentiate between these risk levels and prohibiting the sale and distribution of raw milk is not a reasonable approach and the risk profile for raw milk is lower than other foods available to consumers; and
- Canada is the only G8 country that prohibits the sale of raw milk to consumers, any health risks associated with locally produced milk are being managed effectively in other jurisdictions through the use of appropriate evidence based standards and certification programs.The Government of Canada can learn from these successes, and Canadians should have the freedom to choose to purchase pasteurized or raw milk.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Minister of Health to Modernize and amend the Food and Drugs Act and the corresponding Food and Drug Regulations, to permit the legal sale of, and/or access to, raw (i.e. unpasteurized) milk and milk products through small scale certified herd share programs, or other such suitable arrangements, capable of managing any associated health risks in a responsible and reasonable manner.
- Sign the petition petitions.parl.gc.ca
- Using email or social media, spread the word and ask others to sign it. Sample wording below.
Canadian citizens are petitioning their government to create meaningful dialogue about raw milk availability. Please sign this petition and ask others to do the same. You do not need to be a raw milk drinker or even a supporter to sign this petition. You don’t even need to be a citizen or resident of Canada. This is about our rights as citizens to choose the foods of our choice from the producer of our choice.
Supported by the Weston A Price Foundation
April 7th, 2013
Well it has been a long and talkative day for us raw milk lovers here in BC so I will try to just do a quick summary of the speakers and some of my favorite quotes from each of them for the folks who were unable to attend the Fresh Milk Food Politics conference today. I have uploaded a bunch of ...
March 18th, 2013
Daytime Ottawa hosts ask why we can't purchase raw milk and is it safe to consume. More info at rawmilkconsumer.ca ...
February 27th, 2013
Click Here to Buy Kefir Grains Kefir is one of the most amazing and powerful addition to my health that I have so far experienced. I stopped taking it for about 6 months or so when I was travelling a lot, I soon started getting every flu and cold that anyone had. When I started drinking kefir ...
February 19th, 2013
DONATE to the Raw Milk Legal Defense Fund, fighting for raw milk access for all families across British Columbia and Canada It was an interesting day at the courthouse today. Many of us got there late but it didn't matter as there was some kind of a security alert going on and no on ...
July 17th, 2012
This is a very revealing interview with Rev Kevin Annett leading up to the historical class action filed July 4, 2012 in the Federal Court of Canada against the Vatican, Elizabeth Windsor (the UK Queen), Big Pharma, the Prime Minister of Canada and others for conspiracy against First Nations peoples ...
May 31st, 2012
Seedstock Seedbomb! from agorabora on Vimeo. Seedstock, is a community currency for Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. We believe that community currencies can improve the connectedness of communities, support local, independent businesses, encourage a more vibrant and diverse local economy while ge ...
May 28th, 2012
Hella Delicious is extending the use of this website to cowshare and food co-op members all over the world to be used as a community resource. The avatar hellaD was created in 2007 as a global representative for pure and unadulterated foods--including milk--and to support diverse traditional foo ...
May 25th, 2012
Despite the fact that I appreciate BC Hydro bringing to my attention the incredible health dangers of wireless technology with their stubborn insistence on rolling out their wireless smartmeter program despite the moratorium and huge protest of the people they are supposedly serving, I find the ...
May 23rd, 2012
Victoria Grant is a 12-year-old Canadian. Her father and she discovered that the debt money system was what was wrong with the Canadian economy and decided to do something about it. She recites this from memory at the First Annual Public Banking Conference in Philadelphia, April 27-28, 2012. ...