The most important part of this recipe is to source some good bones, in fact the bones and the water are the only ingredients that are absolutely essential in this recipe. The more jointy the bones are the better – what we want is the connective tissues, like the ligaments and cartilage so knuckle bones, joint bones, spine bones, feet bones, rib bones…. are excellent. It is worth it to spend the money and get some grass-fed bones if possible, but at the very least get organic bones.
- 4 pounds bones, try to get joint bones or marrow bones. Pork, beef, lamb, venison, chicken…. are all fantastic bones to make a good broth with, you can also put in a whole chicken.
- 10 – 12 c filtered water
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- small handful black peppercorns
- small handful coriander seeds, optional
- 3-5 bay leaves, optional
- 1 stick cinnamon, optional
- 1 handful star anise, optional
- 1 T whole cloves, optional
- 2 inches fresh ginger, optional
- 2 leafs kombu (kelp), optional