This dish is known in Myanmar as Bachelor’s Chicken Curry. Traditionally young men would steal the chicken and other ingredients if hunger overtook them while out on a romp. In their haste to cook the meal over an impromptu fire, garlic cloves were pounded and thrown in, skin and all.
On occasion certain young men might have been known to add a bit of marijuana to the simmering mix, resulting in great amusement and laughter from all who consumed this addicting combination of flavors.
- 1 inch ginger, pounded
- 6 cloves garlic, pounded
- 1 medium onion, sliced and pounded
- 4-5 medium tomatoes, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 T oil or more as necessary
- ½ t turmeric
- 1 t chili powder (or more to taste)
- 2 medium potatoes, medium dice
- 2-3 chicken legs, deboned and medium dice
- salt or fish sauce to taste