This soup is what I use as the basis for the GAPS™ diet, the vegetables used are usually well tolerated by most people. It is best not to use any green leafy vegetables on the introductory stages of the GAPS™ diet. This soup is very nourishing, delicious and easily absorbed by a compromised GI tract.
The vegetables and types of meat that go into this recipe can be varied and the soup remains just as delicious, for example adding chopped tomatoes can make it quite different.
This recipe feeds 2 people for two days and easily serves 4.
- 1-2 T lard, ghee or coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1/2 t turmeric
- 1 pound ground meat – pork, beef, lamb, chicken, turkey or sausage
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 6 large carrots, grated
- 1 pound green beans, chopped 1/4 inch – or peas (optional)
- 8 c or more homemade stock or broth
- 1 T salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 2 cloves crushed garlic, optional
Gently sweat the onions in the fat, add the turmeric and the meat, don’t let the onions or meat begin to brown.