Although my partner grumbles and complains to high heaven about the smell while I am making kimchi, he usually eats it up and wants more. I have taken out the chilis for this recipe of kimchi and added in burdock root, so it isn’t by any means an authentic Korean kimchi, but we like it. It also makes a quick salad when added to steamed broccoli and sunflower seeds, then tossed in olive oil (Recipe).
Makes about 2 quart jars (depending on size of cabbage)
- 1 litre filtered water
- 4 T himalayan or sea salt
- 1 medium napa cabbage, shredded
- 6 medium organic carrots, grated
- 1 large daikon radish, julienned
- 3 medium burdock roots, julienned