Fried bananas are so simple, quick, tasty and full of potassium. Bananas have been used in Asia as a remedy for various digestive issues, but mostly just because they are delicious.
Naomi Aung gives us the details and a translation of the recipe from this website.
Pazon Khwat Gyaw Thoke is a crispy nest of bean sprouts with shrimps on top. Make the salad with noodles and a sweet & sour & hot dressing. Comes with a hot clear soup. Very good, and you’ll even be full as if you’d had dinner 🙂
Pazon (pawn/shrimp) Khwat (cup) Gyaw (fried). It is Pazon Khwat Gyaw. If it is salad, it is Pazon Khwat Gyaw Thoke. The salad usually has shredded cabbage and cucumber.
Recipe translated from http://wesheme.blogspot.com
- 1 lb (1/2 kg) of prawns/shrimps
- 1.5 lb (650-700g) bean sprouts (side note: thin bean sprouts from mung beans, not soy bean sprouts)
- 1 pk of tempura mix*
- 1 onion
- Add a pinch of salt
- Mix with water. (Naomi’s side note: Be careful about adding water. You can add more water later. Mixture should not be too thin.)
- * – if tempura mix is not available, mix 3/4c bean (chickpea) flour and 1/4c of a 3:1 mixture of rice powder and sticky rice powder. (Naomi’s side note: it is a good idea to add a bit of baking soda if you are not using premixed tempura)
Let dry the bean sprouts after cleansing. Thinly slice one red onion. You can use either cooked or raw shrimps. If raw, clean them and pat dry.
The Rendering of Chicken or Goose Fat to Create Delicious Cracklings.
A real old fashioned traditional recipe from Jewish Cookery by Leah W. Leonard
- Cut fatty fowl skin and other fat clusters into 1-inch cubes or strips
- Cover with cold water
- Cook in a heavy kettle or frying pan, covered for 20 to 25 minutes
- Uncover and continue cooking over reduced heat until the water has evaporated and only the melted or cooked fat and cracklings remain
- Add diced onions, allowing one onion to each cupful of unrendered fat
- Add a clove of garlic for flavor
When rendering a large quantity of fat, the addition of a few slices of raw potato will help clarify it.