These special truffles are made with egg yolks, cream, butter, real chocolate and honey. The egg yolks help to give it a specially creamy mouth-feel that makes it all the more rich and decadent.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/2 c cream
- 1/4 c butter
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate
- dash salt
Optional suggestions for adding to the truffles:
- spices — vanilla, ground cardamom, lemon verbena, ginger etc
- chopped nuts — pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts, pistachios
- dried fruit — cherries, goji etc
- fruit syrups — passionfruit, raspberry, pomegranate etc
- citrus — lime juice, lemon or orange zest
Gently heat the egg yolks with the cream whisked into them over a ban marie, add the butter and chocolate and heat gently, stirring. As the mixture begins to thicken stir constantly for about 4 minutes. When the mixture is glossy and thick remove from the heat. You can divide this basic mixture up and make a few different flavors of truffles.
Chill, using a small spoon, scoop out a bit of the chocolate. Shape it into balls with your fingers and roll it around in dark cocoa powder.