This is what I call poor man’s roast. Sardines are a great affordable way to get protein and fat if you are on a really tight budget. If the vegetables are roasted to the point of caramelization the flavor will be even better. This is actually a delicious dish even if you aren’t broke.
- 4 medium carrots, large dice
- 2 lg onions, large dice
- 1/2 head garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and large diced
- 1/2 pumpkin peeled and large diced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florettes
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 2 tins sardines
- to taste chili
- to taste ground coriander
- to taste cinnamon
- to taste salt
Cut up vegetables. Start the carrots, onions, sweet potatoes and garlic together in roasting pan. Toss with spices and oil until they are lightly coated. Roast at 400 degrees until slightly tender. Add pumpkin and broccoli, stir and roast about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and sardines and mix. Roast another 10 minutes.