This is really easy to make and handy to have in the kitchen. A mainstay in Burmese kitchens it results in two great additions for salads. Crispy golden fried garlic and garlic-turmeric infused oil.
Peel and slice thinly as much garlic as you would like to have available. I suggest 2 heads of garlic to make the exercise worthwhile.
- Fill a heavy bottomed pan with enough oil to deep fry the garlic.
- Add a teaspoon or so of turmeric
- When it starts to sizzle slightly add the garlic
- Stir occasionally and keep an eye on the garlic. It is quite easy to burn at this point
- When it begins to get golden and before it starts turning black, quickly take the garlic out of the oil and drain on paper towels
- Allow to cool and store it in an air-tight jar. This crispy fried garlic will keep indefinitely stored in this manner
- When the oil has cooled store it in a jar in a cool place
Use it for flavoring your hand-tossed Burmese salads!
Where is turmeric oil sold?
As far as I know you just have to make it yourself. I’ve never seen it sold.
What type of oil do you suggest.Thanks
I usually use extra virgin olive oil but coconut oil is also good.