- 1inch ginger, pounded
- 6 cloves garlic , pounded
- 1 medium onion, sliced and pounded
- 3 tomatoes, pureed
- 1T oil or more if necessary
- ½ t turmeric 
- 1t chili powder (or more to taste)
- 12-16 large prawns
- salt or fish sauce to taste
Prepare the curry gravy by pounding the ginger, garlic and onions in a mortar and pestle. This can also be done in a food processor.
Heat the oil and add the turmeric and chili powder. Add the ginger, garlic and onions and sweat. Add the tomatoes, saute a couple minutes. 1 T of tomato puree can be substituted for the fresh tomatoes.
Add the prawns and saute briefly. Add salt or fish sauce to taste.