Milk War Screening, Vancouver BC
January 27th, 2011 | Food Security, Our Food, Raw Milk, BC, Canada, Dairy, documentary, food, freedom, fundraiser, Glencolton farm, justice, local, Milk War, movie, raw milk, realfood, rights, screening, security, Sustainable
Event to Support Local Community Dairies
Written and directed by award winning journalist Kevin O’Keefe
Produced by Declan O’Driscoll
Gemini Award-winning actor Colm Feore narrates
Please join us on February 6th, 2011 3-5 pm at the Rio Theatre (1660 E. Broadway @Commercial Drive), doors open at 2:00. Tickets are $15 before February 2nd and $20 at the door. Email MilkWarTix@gmail.com to get your tickets in advance.
Milk War is a story about Ontario organic and raw dairy farmer Michael Schmidt’s battle to legalize the sale of unpasteurized milk. Schmidt has supplied his fellow private coop members with milk for almost 20 years. Last year he was acquited of all charges against him.
A true Canadian David and Goliath story; when asked if he was willing to go to jail Michael said: “Whatever it takes to give people the freedom to choose healthy nutritious food ”
After the movie, Alice Jongerden, agister emerita of the former “Home on the Range” Cowshare in Chilliwack, BC and founder of the BC Raw Milk Defense Fund will lead a talk session.
At the epicenter of the raw milk controversy here in BC, Alice, a mother of five, commits herself to defend our country’s food security and individual food rights.
Live music by David Blair
The screening is to raise money for thousands of dollars in legal fees our cowshare’s raw milk farmer Alice Jongerden has and will incur in defending our food freedoms. On Thursday, January 20th 2011, Alice filed an application to the Supreme Court of B.C. to set aside the 2010 court order that prohibits her from producing and packaging unpasteurized dairy products.
The court ruled, on March 18, 2010 that raw milk is a hazardous substance in order to uphold an injunction sought by the Fraser Health authority to shut down the Home on the Range dairy in Chilliwack. More info here.
In the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors (CIPHI) report: Raw Milk: Clarifying The Debate And Moving Towards Healthier Public Policy it is clear that they recognize there are health benefits in drinking fresh raw milk. Not all raw milk is equal. Pushing this movement underground is the true risk to public health. Today there are many methods, techniques and technologies to ensure that raw milk is safe for human consumption.
Door Prizes and Silent Auction Including the following prizes/auction items:
- Dinner for 2 at Vij’s or Rangoli’s (Granville and 11th)
- $25 gift certificate from Hip Baby (Kitsilano)
- Green Home Make-over (valued at $300) or a Green Mama webinar (there are a few to choose from-valued at $20 each) donated by Manda Aufochs
- 4 hours of free architectural services with ARHITRAV design construction (2 certificates valued at $200 each)
- $50 gift certificate at Organics At Home, North Vancouver (can be used towards home delivery for people who might not live close to North Van location)
- LandSea Tours Whistler round trip for two donated by Noriko Okamoto
- Autographed books from Ryan Walter
- 2 Fresh Milk Cheese Wheels ($100 value each) aged over 60 days
- 1 year maintenance of cow (value $850.00)
- Handmade Straw Yogurt Incubator (value $50) and Child’s Handmade Hemp Apron (value $15) donated by Hella Delicious
A short clip of the raid on Michael Schmidt’s Glencotlton farm in Ontario, November 2006:
Tickets and Information:
- MilkWarTix@gmail.com (contact Noriko)
- White Rock, BC Ticket Location: Awakening Heart, 14899 Marine Drive, White Rock, British Columbia. (Phone: 604-535-6603)
- North Vancouver, BC Ticket Location: Organics At Home, 1479 Hunter Street, North Van. (Thurs 2-6, Sat 9-4, Sun 10-2) (Phone: 604-983-6657)
- Coquitlam, BC Ticket Location: Reflections Bookstore, 1111D Austin Ave., Coquitlam, BC (Phone: 604-939-6000)
- East Vancouver, BC Ticket Location: People’s Co-op Bookstore, 1391 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
Media Event Sponsors:
- CBC radio 690AM/88.1FM: Tuesday Early Edition: Alice will be in Studio 5:40 AM (10 min slot)
- CKNW radio AM980: Tuesday 11:00AM
- Wednesday, February 2, 2011 from 6PM to 7 PM (live streaming at www.consciouslivingradio.org) or tune in to Co-Op radio 102.7 FM
- Thursday, January 27, 2011 from 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM (live streaming at http://www.blogtalkradio.com)
Lastly if you are not able to attend the event and/or live too far away please consider making a donation to the Real Milk Legal Defense Fund to support Farmer and Agister Alice Jongerden and Home on the Range in its constitutional challenge for our food rights and to overturn the various injunctions to stop the fresh, unprocessed milk flowing to private sharemembers (Credit Card and Paypal payment options).
Or you may mail a payment to: Real Milk Legal Defence Fund Box 323 Rosedale BC , V0X 1A0.
Please feel free to copy, print and distribute the Milk War Screening Poster below.
Is this film available for purchase online? I’ve had a couple of requests from people who live in other provinces that want to see it!
Or do you know who they can get it touch with to organize a screening in Ontario?
Hey that is strange I was trying to see if you could buy it online and I can’t find it anywhere. I have seen other folks making this same comment on their facebook page:
Maybe they will post the information on where to buy it there sometime. I suggest you write to MilkWarTix@gmail.com and ask Noriko for details on how she organized this screening. I think she is in contact with the producer or something as well. She might know where you can get a copy.