Superfoods to Protect Against EMFs
June 1st, 2012 | Food Facts, Our Food, antioxidants, calcium, electromagnetic, EMF, enzymes, foods, fruit, health, minerals, ORAC, probiotics, radiation, smartmeters, spices, superfood, vitamins, wireless, Zapped
With the levels of low-level electromagnetic pollution on the rise I thought I should share some of my favorite superfoods that help to protect against toxic wireless radiation. They include a list of foods high in antioxidants including melatonin, vitamin C, vitamin E, glutathione and superoxide dismutase, foods high in probiotics that help to buffer our sensitive intestinal lining from the damaging electromagnetic frequencies and foods high in calcium that is readily absorbed by our bodies. Calcium is important as the wireless radiation from cellphones, wi-fi, smartmeters etc causes calcium drift in our cell membranes. Lack of calcium also causes damage to your ileocecal valve and your blood vessels (not to mention your teeth, bones and muscles). Recent studies have revealed just how damaging calcium supplement are. It is clearly best to get your vitamins, enzymes, minerals and probiotics from your food as much as possible. My list is pretty long, but it is not all-inclusive, there are plenty other fantastic foods I have missed these are just some of my favorites. Oh also be sure to avoid processed foods like the plague and absolutely no sugar–use honey or dates instead, as recommended in the SCD, GAPS or Paleo diets.
Low-level EMFs reduce major sources of antioxidant fire-power in our bodies–melatonin, vitamin C, vitamin E, probiotics, superoxide dismutase (SOD), and glutathione–which in turn promotes free radical DNA damage in our cells. In addition, this causes changes in calcium flow in the cells, which can suppress the immune system and keep our bodies in stress mode, triggering runaway inflammation.
The numbers following the food items are the ORAC numbers which aren’t exact, it will depend on how the food is grown etc but gives you a general idea for how powerful their antioxidant abilities are. ORAC is an acronym for Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity and is a method developed by the National Institute on Aging for measuring the ability of a particular food to fight free radicals. If not otherwise stated ORAC numbers are for around 100g. Aim for 5000 ORAC points a day.
Antioxidant Rich Foods and Spices:
- Artichokes – 6552. Also contains cynarin and silymarin which are great for the liver. Silymarin is 10x more potent than vitamin E and increases body’s production of glutathione and SOD — also found in milk thistle.
- Asparagus– 2150. Also contains glutathione, rutin, selenium and zinc.
- Blueberries – 6552 per cup
- Cranberries – 9584. Can protect brain cells from free radical damage. Pair with apples even better.
- Cruciferous Vegetables (Broccoli, cabbage, diakon, cauliflower etc) – 2386. Also contain vitamin C, zinc, selenium, caffeic acid (reduces damaging effects of cell phone use, helps to buffer the blood brain barrier), sulforaphane. Don’t eat raw.
- Pomegranate Juice – 2341
- Prunes – 6552
- Red Beans – 8459
- Walnuts – 13,541. Also very high in vitamin E. Great for the brain.
- Pecans – 17,940
- Tart Cherries – Raw cherries 3,797. High in melatonin (dried cherries ORAC and melatonin is much more concentrated).
- Cinnamon – < 2675 ORAC per teaspoon stablize blood sugar since EMF exposure may raise blood sugar
- Turmeric – < 1593 ORAC per teaspoon reduces inflammation and many other things
- Cumin – < 768 ORAC per teaspoon free radical scavenger, enhances liver's detox antioxidant including glutatione. When exposed to microwave and gamma radiation they have more antioxidant power.
- Garlic raw – 5,708. Helps control blood sugar, high in sulfur containing compounds
- Dates – 3,895
- Broccoli – 2,160
- Portabella mushrooms – 969 per 100g
- Parsley raw – 1,301 per 100g. Also high in calcium and great for protecting the kidneys.
- Cilantro (leaves) – 5,141 per 100g. Cilantro is also a great heavy metal detoxer.
- Rosemary, dried – 16528 per 10 g.
Other Important Superfoods
- Grass-Fed Beef- excellent source of glutathione, zinc and selenium.
- Bone broth from free range and grass fed animals – broths are high in easily absorbed minerals including calcium.
- Okra – high in vitamins A, B and K, calcium, manganese and magnesium. High in antioxidants and soothing for the digestion. Increases bile production and removes toxins as well as helps to stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Eggs from free run chickens (be sure they are from a farmer you know not just from a company saying they are free range). Also contain high levels of sulphur.
- Raw milk, butter and cheeses- excellent sources of vitamin D (which helps the body absorb calcium) as well as calcium, enzymes and probiotics
- Homemade Yogurt / Kefir – high in calcium and has lots of probiotics which produce vitamin B, K for digestive health.
- Sauerkraut – High in vitamin C, cruciferous vegetables and probiotics. Add herbs and spices to increase antioxidant power
- Kombucha – high in probiotics also great for detoxing liver and a good source of glutathione.
- Tulsi tea (Holy Basil) – great for protecting against radiation
Delicious Superfood and High Anti-Oxidant Recipes:
- Tarragon Saurkraut
- Dried Cherry and Cardamom Compote
- Chocolate Walnut Torte
- Pomegranate and Kombucha Punch
- Cherry Ice Cream
- Blueberry Pie
- Burmese Egg Curry
- Miso Soup
- Bone Broth
- Kimchi and Broccoli Salad
- Pecan Pie
I have many more recipes posted on my site and many more coming, this is just a taste of all the good food you can eat to heal and protect yourself against EMFs.
More on Calcium:
One theory explaining the symptoms of electrosensitivity and radio wave sickness is that they are caused by the loss of calcium ions due to EMF exposure. Since these ions hold the membranes together, the cell is more vulnerable to damage. Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy was the first to notice the similarity between electrosensitivity symptoms and those of hypocalcemia, a deficit of calcium in the blood. He theorized that if someone already had low blood calcium, EMF exposure, which leaches calcium from the cells, might “push them over the edge.” The treatment: calcium. However, calcium must be in balance with magnesium for proper absorption. The ideal ratio should be at least 1:1 or even 2:1 in favor of magnesium.
When it comes to calcium, food is your best source. I like yogurt because it’s easily digestible, less likely to cause allergic reactions, can be safely eaten by those who are lactose intolerant, and contains probiotics that are vital to a healthy digestive and immune systems. Yogurt is also an unexpected source of iodine, which can help promote better thyroid function. -p184-185 Zapped by Ann Louise Gittleman
Minerals are the spark of life and even more important than vitamins when it comes to cellular health. They are really the front line of defense in protecting the body against increasingly pervasive EMFs.
Think of it this way: Every cell relies upon minerals for numerous bodily functions. And there are over seventy trillion cells in the human body, each one acting like a biological battery–a kind of mini-dynamo that generates life. Minerals are the catalysts to keep the battery going, help it hold a charge. Without minerals in the proper ratio, cellular membranes can’t maintain the proper liquid pressure between the inside and outside cell walls. It’s called osmotic pressure, and it’s what keeps viruses and bacteria from invading and cells from rupturing. Those same minerals, usually called electrolytes, help maintain the right pH in intracellular fluid so alien organisms that do slip by won’t survive. Any imbalance in this pressure causes cells to weaken and eventually die. Even the immune system depends upon this mineral balancing act, right down to the cellular level. The minerals of life recharge us on a minute-by-minute basis, empowering every cell, organ and tissue of the body. -p199-200 Zapped by Ann Louise Gittleman