Coconut Water and Probiotics
January 19th, 2012 | Our Food, Probiotics, autism, BE, Body Ecology, coconut water, Donna Gates, gut, health, probiotics, young
There is a rage going on in the probiotic world which originates from Donna Gates, creator of The Body Ecology Diet. After discovering the healing abilities of kefir on the digestive tract and mucous membranes in general, Gates was gifted a kefir culture on a retreat in Japan. Regular consumption of kefir builds up communities of depleted friendly micro-organisms in our bodies, this pushes out in-grown colonies of pathogenic yeast. Gardens of diverse, friendly bacteria are vital for strengthening our immune systems. They also protect us from pathogenic bacteria (very good on a trip to the tropics!), help us to efficiently absorb nutrients from our food and ultimately assist with healing all kinds of digestive disorders, allergies, chronic fatigue and much more.
As the name suggests, the Body Ecology Diet is all about getting the optimum ecosystem going in the gut and the rest of the body. One night Donna and a friend of hers, Don (a raw food advocate), were talking about the incredible health benefits of coconut water… all of the minerals and vitamins provided…but Donna was concerned it would have too much sugar for her clients who were suffering from candidiasis (Candida overgrowth). It suddenly occurred to her to try culturing the sweet young coconut water with kefir grains. The results were a raging success, in fact, a coconut yogurt can even be made with the young coconut flesh. People love it, and several versions of how to make it can easily be found all over the internet. I like this version from culturedprobiotics, however, it is not advisable to use the ‘fresh’ coconuts found in stores outside of the tropics, as they may have been dipped in formaldyhyde or even irradiated.
This coconut kefir tastes tangy and fizzy and has a plethora of minerals, vitamins and the healing helpful micro-organisms that are so beneficial for our bodies, and is very easy to make, by simply culturing coconut water overnight with kefir grains.
What People Say About Coconut Water Kefir
- It completely stops your cravings for sugar. Imagine the benefits of that!
- It aids digestion of all foods
- It has a tonifying affect on the intestines, even flattening the abdomen!
- It appears to cleanse the liver. In Chinese medicine the liver rules the skin, eyes, and joints. Coconut water kefir eases aches and joint pains. Many people report having a prettier complexion. They experience the brown liver spots on the skin fading away and skin tags, moles, or warts drying up and disappearing. Vision also improves
- It contains high levels of valuable minerals, including potassium, natural sodium, and chloride, which explains why the hair, skin and nails become stronger and have a prettier shine.
- It appears to have a beneficial, cleansing effect on the endocrine system (adrenals, thyroid, pituitary, ovaries). Women find that their periods are cleaner and healthier; some who had experienced early menopause have found this important monthly cleansing returning again.
- It increases energy and gives you an overall feeling of good health.
Do you have a ‘guesstimate’ on how many billion active cultures are in this recipe?
I’d MUCH prefer to get probiotics/prebiotics this way than some expensive (and questionable)
Thank you in advance.
how long drinking waterkefir before you start seeing results
I don’t understand is it ok and same benefits to drink and eat the flesh just natural? I eat and drink coconut milk almost every day. Thank you Sophie
Good question! Eating young coconut flesh and drinking the water from a freshly picked coconut is very beneficial as it is rich in enzymes etc. If you are having to buy pasteurised coconut water I would recommend fermenting it first. Since we are on the GAPS / SCD diet we are unable to drink the coconut water without fermenting it first and converting the sugars. We are also working on boosting our beneficial gut microbes and coconut water kefir is a delicious and easy way to help do this.