What Does Cookery Mean?
By John Ruskin
- It means the knowledge of Medea, and of Circe, and of Calypso, and of Helen, and of Rebekah, and of the Queen of Sheba.
- It means knowledge of all herbs, and fruits, and balms, and spices, and of all that is healing and sweet in groves, and savory in meat.
- It means carefulness and inventiveness, watchfulness, willingness, and readiness of appliances.
- It means the economy of your great-grandmother and the science of modern chemistry, and French art and Arabian hospitality.
- It means, in fine, that you are to see imperatively that everyone has something nice to eat.